Saturday 23 December 2017

How to manage Christmas preparations with one arm in a sling!

So, I've had my arm in a sling now for just over a week and I can tell you, it certainly has opened my eyes to the struggles that some people must face on a daily basis, due to accident or disability! If that's you, I offer you the hugest hugs and utmost respect! It really is tricky!

I have been fortunate enough that my kids other grandparents have taken them off with them to Devon for a few nights - it has really helped having a bit of space and time to do my last minute pressie deliveries, etc. I have had to accept help from mum an awful lot, but I have managed quite well in other things I've tried to do - that stubborn streak that runs in the female-side of our family sure has come into play this week 😉😆😉

I was impressed that my dad and I made it into town and back this afternoon, so that he could do his last minute shop for mum's bits. We must have made quite a sight, him in his wheelchair and me helping to push him one-handed down the road! (We did meet a good Samaritan outside Waitrose, who helped us up the curb - very nice man!) We did almost end up in the road twice, as the front wheels shot off in the exact opposite direction we desired, but we made a good team! 😊

Anywho, these are a few tips I've worked out for surviving Christmas preparation, whilst showing a bit of kindness to myself (as I soooo didn't plan for Christmas in a sling, I really didn't!)

taken 2 weeks ago - before the sling!
1. A Scarf is essential when venturing outside!
So, with one arm in and the other out of my coat sleeves, I can't quite manage to do it up! (It also pushes too much on my elbow) so for the past week I have been walking around with my coat flailing around me! I now have a lovely cough, so thought would try a scarf today, to cover my chest - also doesn't help that I'm wearing t-shirts, as keep getting hot flushes!! (a 'joyous' side effect of having my periods stopped medically, but that's another story!!) The scarf was a big success!!😊
I am also lucky enough to have a lovely, warm winter coat (early Christmas pressie from mum and dad!) which helped a lot too!😉


2. Gift bags!!!
I love my mum so much for the help she gave me in wrapping my gift mug sets I made for friends and the kids teachers, in dotty cellophane! However,  I don't want to be a complete burden and ask her to wrap all the rest of my pressies this year. So, whilst mum and I had a lovely mooch around our local garden centre yesterday, I spied a stack of Xmas themed gift bags! I bought a range of sizes and styles - the ones for the kids must be almost as big as Little Miss! 😂😂😂 so that sorts wrapping!

3. ready made bows!!
I also had big plans for getting creative and fancy with ribbon this year - I bought 4 large spools of xmas coloured ribbon and everything! Alas, that is no longer possible. So, with my trusted 'best friend' shop on the internet, I managed to buy 2 packs of 24 assorted bow thingies, and they are awesome!

4. Not 'Over Planning'!
I am really missing my bullet journals at the moment! My left-handed writing resembles a spider-scrawl 😂😉😂 so I am trying to type as much as possible!
It also means that I have taken a much more 'go with the flow' attitude this last week. I am trying to plan for a few things I want to achieve in the day and then reviewing and adjusting as required each night before bed. Mum and I have had some good chats lately about things we want to get done the next day, plus how best to go about them (and in which order!) and it seems to be working well!
Yesterday I felt like I did quite a lot, so today did a little less, as felt really sore and tired.

5. Pace not haste!
I am also having to pace myself! The smallest things seem to be totally draining at the moment, or take such a lot more time and effort than they normally would! Like the shower mum helped me have this afternoon! It was nearly an hour before I was dressed  with dry-ish hair! Also totally exhausting!
So now, I am doing something, then taking a break. Doing something else and having another break. It seems to be working a lot better, rather than my normal 'fly around doing everything and then collapse in a huge heap' that I usually do!😉😂😉

Doing these 5 little steps has certainly helped me stay calm and relatively stress-free so far! The kids will be back tomorrow, so I'm going to enjoy the last of the peace and quiet, while it lasts 😉😊😉

What things do you do to try and stay calm and organised(ish) in the run up to Christmas? Has it worked, or are you already flying around, wishing that you had more hands to juggle everything with, and more time to get it all done in!?!
Hugs xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments always welcome! I will try to reply as soon as I can xxx

Walking and the joys it brings!

Hello little blog, Again, it seems ages since I last wrote - this time it is definitely my Bipolar's fault, as I'm pinging from se...